Copyright

Copyright © 2013 – 2022. Please note that all material on this site is protected under copyright law and cannot be reproduced in whole or in part, or transmitted in any form, without the author's permission. You may quote up to thirty (30) words from a post on the blog, but in so doing, you must provide a link back to the website and provide the name of the author.

Friday, September 15, 2023

Dream Symbols and Your Physical Health

In my earlier post of 9/11/2023, I should have mentioned that scientists believe there is a connection between violent dreams and neurological disease. (See https://www.sciencealert.com/strange-violent-dreams-could-be-trying-to-warn-us-about-future-brain-disease.) So, for example, if a neurologist suspects that you are a candidate for Parkinson's, you may be asked about your dreams. But in general, your physician is not going to look for links between your dreams and disease, even if they exist.

 

My emphasis in this blog is on the practical application of dreams, which is why the site is called helpfromdreams.com. In later posts, I will examine some of the theories of dreaming and present why I believe a metaphysical view is important. Some scientists such as Carl Gustav Jung (1875-1961), a famous Swiss psychiatrist and psychotherapist, have seen dreams in this light, and his theories about the subconscious and dreams are in many respects like those of Edgar Cayce. They both saw dreams as occurring for the benefit of humans, and they both see a connection with a spiritual source. Here I do not want to deal with abstract concepts; I intend to show how you can benefit regardless of your understanding of an underlying model for dreaming.


Let’s examine how dreams reflect the state of your physical health. As I mentioned above, the dream can be direct and literal. If you have a serious disease such as cancer or a heart blockage, you may dream that you are in the company of a person who you view as a doctor or advisor who tells you about your condition. That may be all there is to the dream. This can happen even with less serious diseases. Fifteen years ago, when I retired to Florida, I was having frequent pain in my lower right hip. One night I had a dream in which I was with a man who said, “The problem is deep. You should see an osteopath.” I did see an osteopath shortly after having the dream, and after several visits the pain was gone. I still see her today for regular spinal adjustments. Except for minor recurrences, I have been free of pain for fifteen years.

 

Another time early in my work with dreams, I was with a man who commented on the state of my health. He said, “If you don’t start exercising your spine, you will begin to black out.” He then showed me an exercise to do. That dream got my attention, and I began to make corrections to my lifestyle.

 

Over the years, the advisor figure or simply a voice has appeared in a dream many times to supply medical advice. The advice has come in the many forms such as blood test results, comments on the effectiveness of my digestive system, and dental advice. Obviously, these dreams did not require interpretation. But not all health dreams are of this type.

 

Dreams normally use an array of symbols of several types to deliver their message. One of the most common ones for the physical body is that of a motor vehicle. For most people this will be a car, SUV, or pickup. I will simply refer to it as a car. The car has appeared in my dreams in one of two ways: a symbol for my body with the condition of the car standing for the state of my health or as a symbol of my personal power and how I move about in this corporeal world.

 

If I am viewing my car in a dream as a rust bucket on its way to the junk yard, I am most likely in poor physical condition and need to exercise more to shake the “rust” from my body. If I am having difficulty starting my car in a dream, a little reflection may show that I am having difficulty getting started in the morning. A dream about my car with a damaged right rear tire may show a problem with my right leg or foot. If I can’t seem to ramp up my speed to address daily challenges, I may dream about taking my car to a repair shop and being told there is a problem with the transmission.

 

You can be fooled, and what you think is a symbolic dream may be literal. Once I dreamed that I had a dead battery in my car. That morning when I went out to start my car, I discovered that the battery was dead. However, over the years, I have found the depiction of my car in a dream as a good indicator of my overall health. Once when I was feeling at my best, I dreamed I had just gotten a high-performance sports car. Another time of peak health, a voice commented on my car by saying it was a good running engine.

 

You may think of the symbolism about the car as your physical body in the following way. As the physical body is the transporter of your soul on this Earth, the car is the transporter of your physical body. For movement and activity, your soul needs the physical body, and the physical body needs a means of transportation, which is usually a car (broader sense including other vehicles). So, dreams often use a car to stand for the physical body.

 

In addition to the state of my health, I have had many dreams over the years in which the car carries me in a certain direction, showing my activity in life. It reflects my movement in daily life. If I am driving in a haphazard manner, my daily life shows that behavior. If I am losing control of the car on the highway, in my daily life I am losing control. If I am driving too fast in the dream, I need to slow down in my daily life. If I make a right turn onto a highway, that is a positive sign. If I make a left turn, I may have made a wrong choice on some decision. If I am driving cautiously and carefully, that reflects caution and care in my daily life.

 

Now you may not be the driver. You may be the passenger in a car driven by someone else. That someone else in the dream could stand for you, but they could also be another person in your daily life who is either carrying you in a certain direction or you are seeing heading in a certain direction. If they are driving recklessly, you may be close to someone who is behaving in a reckless manner. It may be affecting you or you may simply be seeing their behavior. To understand the meaning of the characters in the dream, you must examine your associations for the characters in your own daily life. Dreams are not separate from your life. Your dreams are about you, and you must be the one to interpret them. If you want to understand your dreams, you must begin to examine your life.

 

Now someone else with knowledge about dreams and your life may realize what a dream is telling you, but even if they are right in their interpretation, it does not have the same impact as your experiencing the truth for yourself. And they only understand part of the meaning; for a complete understanding they would have to be inside your head and know all your thoughts and experiences.

 

In my health dream examples I have not included dreams about medications because other than a few times when I was taking antibiotics, I have never been on medications. I believe that your dreams will warn you if your medications are not beneficial and may show you an alternative approach that is better. The closest I can come to an example from my own life is a dream about aspirin that showed it should be taken with vitamin C. After having this dream, I did some research and discovered that a German study concluded aspirin and vitamin C should be taken together because aspirin interferes with the absorption of vitamin C; aspirin taken with vitamin C can reduce potential stomach damage from aspirin if you are a regular user. Since that German study, others have reached the same conclusion as well. (See https://www.peoplespharmacy.com/articles/vitamin-c-protects-against-aspirin-damage.)

 

My approach to health is proactive. The less I see of doctors, the better. But this does not mean I think people should avoid doctors, especially if experiencing serious symptoms. While I believe that the innate wisdom we have in the form of intuition and dreams makes it possible for most people to live a healthy life with no or limited medical care, I also believe that few have reached that point in their lives. The statistics show a dire picture for the state of health of the average American. The approach to medical care in this country has created a strong dependence on drugs to treat disease. Rather than turning to natural methods, Americans seek a pill to cure every health problem.

 

The experience with Covid-19 is a good example of compromised immune systems. The virus spread rapidly throughout the world with the immune systems of most people unable to protect against the disease. Some declared themselves healthy and immune, only to later die from the disease. The creation of a truly healthy body needs a lifestyle that few embrace. Diet and exercise play a key role, but equally, if not more, important is the mind. Our beliefs, thoughts, and stress levels play a critical role in the state of our health. You cannot become healthy by just declaring that you won’t get sick. You must be feeding the subconscious daily the thoughts and emotions that support good health.

 

I have not had Covid-19, but I also use common sense and exercise proper caution. Likewise, in the case of the flu, when the flu is raging, I don’t go where there are crowds, especially indoors such as in restaurants. And I use a mask where I think there is increased risk. The use of masks for Covid-19 protection has been extremely controversial, becoming political when it should have remained a health issue. Many point to a recent study that showed masks were not effective, misinterpreting what the study really said. It concluded that mask mandates were ineffective not because masks don’t work, but because not enough people would properly use them to make them effective. Numerous studies have shown that a properly constructed and worn mask can reduce the spread of Covid-19 and other viruses from one individual to another. I do not believe that many people would tell their dentist to not bother with a mask or tell their surgeon to not wear a mask during surgery.

 

In my own experience during the height of the Covid-19 pandemic, I found that most people where I shop for groceries wore masks. A county mask mandate was in effect, but few had a proper mask and even fewer wore it correctly. I often saw people wearing a mask without covering their nose, and many of the masks had huge gaps between the mask and face. Another consideration is the home life. If you wear a mask only when you go out and not at home but have children who attend school or a spouse with a job where infections are spreading, they may bring Covid-19 home to you, which is exactly what has happened for many people. If you choose to wear a mask during a virus outbreak, you can make it effective, but it must be the proper mask consistently used in risky environments.

 

Like it or not, the American society is dependent on a large array of drugs to treat every known malady. Unfortunately, they all have side effects, and sometimes the side effects are worse than the disease. The human body is a marvelous creation that is inherently able to keep a state of equilibrium and good health with the proper lifestyle. I believe that the proper lifestyle includes regular meditation and working with our dreams. By working with our dreams, I mean interpreting our dreams and applying in our daily lives the guidance we receive. Knowledge alone has little value if it is not applied. Unfortunately, the great powers we have in our subconscious mind revealed in our dreams are rarely used or even recognized. Until this situation changes, we are likely to see even more drugs developed with enormous human cost and dependency.

 

I am not suggesting that working with your dreams will magically cure every disease. If you have a serious disease, unless it was congenital, the disease most likely developed over time. And the treatment may require a change to your habits and lifestyle over time. Instantaneous cures have happened even for terminal conditions, but deep meditation may be needed to reverse critical conditions.

 

Meditation and dream study may lead you to a procedure administered by health care professionals. The Creative Force works through doctors, nurses, and other medical professionals as well. My complaint is not with the professional workers, but with the education physicians and nurses receive and the power the pharmaceutical companies have over health care in this country.

 

In the 1960s and ‘70s, many people became interested in meditation, and dream books were popular with authors appearing on talk shows. The focus was on oneness and becoming a better person. Now the focus is entirely on technology with few interested in pursuing the inner life. Some even refer to AI as the new God. Countries are racing to arm themselves with the latest weapons, and the threat to the world is increasing daily. It just takes one mistake to launch a cataclysmic event. Humanity desperately needs to turn to the spiritual and return to values in everyday life. Hate and division have reached a critical point, and our democracy and way of life are threatened. This situation is reflected in one of my dreams that said the conditions in the United States were like those in Germany prior to the rise of Naziism. This dream occurred more than a decade ago, but I believe the past ten years we have seen a marked further move toward conditions that prevailed in Germany as Hitler began his rise to power.

 

When I watch the news on TV, I am struck by the pictures of armed people patrolling streets in the many trouble spots around the world. There is no lack of weapons, but in these same countries people are starving and malnourished. The World Food Program and other agencies are all that separate the people from total catastrophe. In North Korea, malnutrition is widespread while the country keeps an enormous stockpile of weapons. They chose guns over food. The average North Korean adult is several inches shorter than the average South Korean because of poor diet and healthcare. (See https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-17774210.)

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment