Copyright

Copyright © 2013 – 2022. Please note that all material on this site is protected under copyright law and cannot be reproduced in whole or in part, or transmitted in any form, without the author's permission. You may quote up to thirty (30) words from a post on the blog, but in so doing, you must provide a link back to the website and provide the name of the author.

Thursday, August 28, 2014

Balance, Health, and Dreams

I started working with my dreams, making changes to my diet, and began a regular exercise program over forty years ago after being introduced to the material in the Edgar Cayce readings. After I read There is a River, the story of Edgar Cayce, by Thomas Sugrue, I found that it rang true and something within me said that I should pursue a study of Cayce’s work. One of the aspects of the readings that particularly appealed to me was Cayce’s emphasis on having balance in one’s life. 

I soon realized that I couldn’t change just one thing like diet; I had to take a holistic approach and make many changes while keeping my life in balance. In addition to analyzing my dreams, I had to meditate, exercise more, and change my attitude in a number of areas. 

I had to make time for play as well as work. By constantly keeping balance in mind, I was able to avoid some of the potentially dangerous pursuits that I saw others follow. I will say more about this in a later post. 

I did not consider the changes I made to my diet and exercise some heroic effort that somehow placed me on another level. The changes were not made because I thought they would elevate me spiritually, although I did begin to meditate for spiritual reasons. 

My approach to Cayce and his recommendations has always been a practical one. They had to help me live a better life.

In the early days, I did a certain amount of experimenting with diet and exercise to see what worked best for me. In the final analysis, the changes were made because I felt better and had more energy. 

Sometimes I changed my diet for a period and then relapsed back to my old ways. However, I quickly found that I did not feel well compared to how I felt on the Cayce-inspired diet, so I returned to the diet. 

The same can be said of exercise. I have always enjoyed walking, so I made it a habit to walk for a half hour each day at a fast pace. Again, there were brief periods when for various reasons I did not walk for several days. Each time, by the second day, I would fell a little stiff in the morning, and after several days, I did not have the same energy that I had with regular exercise. (I should note that Cayce recommended walking as the best all-around exercise, which fit me perfectly.) 

My holistic approach to health kept me healthy over the years. Despite times of extreme pressure at work, I was able to stay healthy and function at a high level. This I attribute to meditation and my dreams, as well as my diet and exercise.

Regular meditation has been shown to have medical benefits and is now recommended by medical professionals as a way to reduce stress. My day at work always seemed to be more harmonious when I meditated in the morning prior to leaving for work.

My dreams provided a great feedback mechanism for any changes I made. Sometimes I would have dreams about my diet and exercise program, and other times I would be shown that I needed to adjust my thoughts to improve my overall well-being. 

My focus was always on the practical; any changes I made had to improve the quality of my life in some way. And my dreams kept me in balance by quickly showing me when I was getting out of balance in some area of my life. 

There is no shortcut to a healthy, productive life. It is true that sometimes people with an extremely obsessive behavior achieve a great deal in some field, but I have no desire to emulate their lifestyle because I believe there is a great deal they miss. 

Sometimes they barely know their own family and rarely experience the joy of their own children. And often a lack of attention to their physical health cuts short what could have been an even more productive life.

No comments:

Post a Comment